Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Digipin-hole :D

This was one of the most exciting experiments I've done in photography! Thanks to my institute's Prof. Mr. Gyanashekharan sir who in his class taught us something so great yet simple that I had to try it! The question he asked that morning was "Do you need a lens on your camera to form an image?" some students said yes and some no. I said no as I thought of the pin-hole camera and where it all started, that we all know! but the class went on to be more and more interesting as he started explaining us the phenomena by which it happens and how easily it can be mis-understood. And the way we have wrongly interpreted it in school, remember the image formation through lens fig. in the science text book?
Well all-n-all it was an amazing class like everyday, but something struck my head like a hammer in the end! for I had seen this incredible film called "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" shot by Mr. Roger Dikins and the realized that the man is GOD!!!!!!!!!!!! If you have seen the film you'll remember there are these shots where the frame is out of focus and kind of blurry at the edges as if taken through a piece of bad quality glass actually made in 1980s atleat thats what I thought it was. But then it struck me that to have a feel of the time Mr. Roger Dikens got the effect of the pin-hole camera WHICH by the way is seen when Jesse James is photographed dead with a huge crowd behind him. Now that's what I think is the BRILLIANCE of the cinematographer, I mean I just can't stop smiling thinking of how superb he must have had felt after seeing it on a huge screen :) Hats off to you Rodger sir!

Some shots from "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"
If you have not seen the film go see it now, and if you have seen it then see it again!




So now I had to do this pin-hole photography my-self here's what it all came down to "yesteryear's effect with today's technology".









And I just couldn't stop! :D









Now I don't need a lens even on my 'digital' camera to make a picture! :) I have also put on some pictures of my camera and what I did to with it. Try it for yourself and tell me if you get anything new :) enjoy!!!

7 comments:

  1. u r awsum dude!! hats off to u!! seeing something very creative comin from ur side!! ur blog is a gr8 insight to all photography enthus!! brilliant wrk!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey! no insight and all man! will be putting up stuff that I think is worth spreading around :) and hope u'll enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey ur gr8 dude!!! wat a photography!!! ur photography is so superb that it strikes even a lay man who hardly understands anythin abt phtography..ur simply god for me dude..ur gr8....i hav no words to explain ur work....:):):) jus cant stop smiling....n ur gr8 words of spreading ur talent aroung has touched my heart...cant believe that there are ppl in d world who really like to spread their knowledge n talent around..ur exquisite expression that cum forth without fail from ur photos r jus extraordinary..

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way MNG sir explains the concepts is beyond our school teacher's explanation, i loved that ur blog made me to remeber him again, i felt happy when Rodger Deakins experimented pinhole concept in real-time, kudos you bro

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello bro great to see today same topic was said to us by dean sir and mentioned your name felt very good and came to the room and i searched for your blog for taking time and making it and spreading it to learn by others felt very great about it thank you keep inspiring

    ReplyDelete